Ganjuran Church Bantul – For those of you who plan to stop by Yogyakarta and its surroundings, it seems like you should take the time to do a religious tour in this city, because there are many places of worship that have a long history in the past.
One of the interesting places is Ganjuran Church in Bantul, Yogyakarta. Apart from being a place of worship, this church also has a unique feature that attracts local and foreign tourists. Curious, right? Read the full review below!
A glimpse of Ganjuran Church Bantul
Ganjuran Sacred Heart of the Lord Jesus Church (HKYT), or known as Ganjuran Church, is a Roman Catholic Church located in Sumbermulyo Village, Bambanglipuro District, Bantul Regency, Yogyakarta. This church is the first, largest and oldest Catholic church in Bantul and has six chapels under it. Its location is also very strategic and can accommodate around 8,000 congregations for worship.
Attraction of Ganjuran Church, Bantul
Ganjuran Church has become an icon of architectural beauty as well as a historical place in Bantul. This church was officially founded on April 16, 1924 by the owners of the Gondanglipuro Sugar Factory, Julius and Joseph Schmutzer, and functioned as a house of worship for sugar factory employees and the surrounding community.
Ganjuran Church is very thick with cultural acculturation in every corner. From the outside, this church uses a typical European classic building style.
However, there are lots of very strong touches of Javanese and Hindu culture inside, such as a joglo house with 4 teak pillars in the church building, an altar building that resembles a temple, as well as statues of Jesus the Messiah and the Virgin Mary in full Javanese clothing.
On the other side, Ganjuran Church also has a spring which is used as holy water for worship and is believed to bring blessings.
Activities carried out at Gajuran Bantul Church
There are several activities you can do while at Ganjuran Church, namely:
- Attend Mass and Pray: The cool and calm atmosphere in the Ganjuran Bantul Church complex means you can pray peacefully in this church.
- Church Tour: For tourists, you can also spend time to see the beautiful architecture and interesting church carvings and find out the history of the founding of Ganjuran Bantul Church.
- Visiting Springs and Souvenir Shops: You can visit the springs and buy spiritual knick-knacks, food and drinks at the souvenir shop around Ganjuran Church.
Location of Ganjuran Church, Bantul
The address of the Ganjuran Bantul Church is Jl. Ganjuran, Jogodayoh, Sumbermulyo, Bambanglipuro District, Bantul Regency, Yogyakarta 55764.
Ticket Prices and Opening Hours of Ganjuran Church, Bantul
You can visit Ganjuran Bantul Church for free every day from 07.00 – 23.00 WIB.
Tips for Religious Tourism to the Ganjuran Church, Bantul
Tips for religious tourism to Ganjuran Church, Bantul include:
- Dress modestly and neatly: When visiting a sacred place of worship, you are advised to wear polite and neat clothing
- Follow directions and rules: You are required to obey the rules while on the church premises.
- Pay attention to visiting times: If you want to attend Mass and other worship services at Ganjuran Church, you can see the schedule via social media or on the official website.
So, that’s the excitement of a religious tour at the Ganjuran Church in Bantul, Yogyakarta. Hopefully this review is useful for you!